Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mama Sloth & Baby!

My heart melted a little today as I stood only a few feet away from a mama sloth and her baby. What a creature!  Poor mama fell out of a tree here at Goddess Garden, scaring a classmate.  She actually thought it was a dead monkey at first, but then realized it was an adorable sloth mama.  I have never been so close to a wild sloth...it was amazing!  It very slowly started to climb back up into the tree, giving us a grand show.  The baby was so tiny but yet so strong, just clinging to its mama.  It was one of the most moving moments for me when it comes to my experience with wildlife.  The way it cocked its head at us, probably trying to figure out what on earth just happened to it.  Falling out of a tree and then landing right on the edge of our path way.  I will share photos when I snag some from my classmates, don't you know my camera battery wasn't charged at this most magical moment!  As mama carefully climbed up, at one point her back was to us and I caught a glimpse of the baby's little arm tightening its grip on mama's back.  It was such a precious thing to see.  Sloths aren't typically considered to be beautiful, but this sloth was absolutely adorable!  My heart expanded a little today as I looked into the eyes of the sloth mama <3 

1 comment:

  1. What fun that must have been to see one up close like that. Can't wait to see a picture.
    oxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete