Friday, February 24, 2012

Shoulders and more tears

Today's morning practice was about opening and strengthening the shoulders.  Most of us have tight shoulders because of all the forward motions of life.  Reaching forward on the computer, hunched over driving, for me always reaching towards my clients heads while I color and style their hair.  Shoulders have always been a tight place for me and I have worked very hard to try and open them more.  I knew the shoulder opening and strengthening class was going to be challenging for sure!  What I wasn't prepared for was the tears that came streaming down my face as we pushed through the uncomfortable feelings and built strength in our shoulders.  We warmed up with some Kundalini yoga exercises with breath.  Very much like doing tiny arms circles to tone the arms, but many many different arm positions and linking the breath with the movements.  Inhaling and then forcefully exhaling, moving quickly and building speed.  It was extremely intense, so I just wanted to give up.  But with the help of our teacher leading us through, explaining we can keep going, moving through the pain and being strong...I can't even remember what she was saying, but I just broke down.  My shoulders were burning as I worked past that pain and just opened everything up.  All the things that I have been holding in there came streaming down my face.  It was such a cleansing feeling, very relieving actually.  We moved onto more of our standing practice and the tears subsided.  But that wouldn't be the end of tears!  As we rested in savasana ending our practice a beautiful song was played and again I found myself with tears flowing down my cheeks.  I hadn't realized how much I was holding onto inside.  Our next thematic class is heart opening!  Oh my, are there tears still left?!  I'm sure we'll all be a puddle of yoga tears at the end of that class and it will feel amazing!  I now understand what people are talking about when they say they cried in yoga class.

2 comments:

  1. My shoulders were hurting as I read about your day! I'm so proud of you! Hope you have a restful night. OXOXO <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a relaxing swim this afternoon, felt great! Slept pretty good last night, will probably sleep good tonight too. Almost finished our first week of training now. Good night Mom <3

    ReplyDelete