Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sun Salutations and the Rainforest

Woke up early today to take a walk down to the beach for the sunrise, but the clouds had other plans!  The beach was still beautiful and the water was warm but there was no glorious rise of the sun.  Today was also our only day off, as in we only had a morning meditation and yoga practice, no classes!  We all were heading to the beach and into town for a day of shopping and having lunch.  Morning practice was "cardio" yoga in the form of vigorous sun salutations...fitting considering we were trying to get the sun to come out for our beach day.  Sweating and cracking a few smiles, I actually enjoyed this tough practice and it seemed to be working because the sun began to peak out its bright face.  Then it began to rain on the ride to the beach!  No problem, time for a yummy cappuccino at the beach bar.  It cleared to overcast, so it was time for a swim.  It was pretty rough, a lot of waves and the ocean had some strong suction going.  Jumping into the waves I couldn't help but laugh and laugh like a child.  After such an intense past week and a half of studying and practicing yoga I needed that moment of pure bliss.  Then looking up I realized there was a huge wave was coming my way.  Figuring my jumping up and throwing my back into waves tactic wasn't going to cut it this time, I decided to just body surf this wave in.  Bad move!  The ocean showed me all its glory!!!  I was quickly sucked in to its undertow and pushed down to the sandy floor and dragged a bit leaving me with some battle wounds.  Sand rash right above my left hip and a little bit on my right knee...along with a bathing suit full of sand haha.  It's all good, I made it up right and had a good laugh about it.  Took a little break to catch my breath, then returned to the mighty ocean for some more!


It is supposedly dry season right now in Costa Rica, but maybe not in the rainforest?!  I don't mind, it mainly rains at night.  It's nice to sleep to the sound of the rain drops falling on the leaves.  Today was an easy beach day too, not too hot and I didn't get sun burnt.  The rainforest is a thing of beauty! 

2 comments:

  1. Be careful in the water. It can be dangerous!
    I know your a good swimmer but I still worry!
    Glad your having a good time. Miss you sweetie!
    oxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ocean reminded me to never underestimate it! Don't worry Mom, I will always respect it and do my best to stay safe in the water. xoxoxox
    Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete